By Rebecca Bushnell
- Tells the tale of the historic improvement of tragedy from classical Greece to modernity
- Features 28 essays by means of popular students from a number of disciplines, together with classics, English, drama, anthropology and philosophy
- Broad in its scope and ambition, it considers interpretations of tragedy via faith, philosophy and history
- Offers a clean review of old Greek tragedy and demonstrates how the perform of interpreting tragedy has replaced noticeably long ago decades
Read Online or Download A Companion to Tragedy (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar literary criticism & theory books
North the USA is extra a political and an fiscal invention than a spot humans name domestic. still, the quarter shared by means of the us and its closest buddies, North the USA, is an exciting body for comparative American stories. Continental Divides is the 1st e-book to review the styles of touch, trade, clash, and disavowal between cultures that span the borders of Canada, the us, and Mexico.
Annie Dillard, a prime practitioner of the literary epiphany, has develop into a consultant of a necromantic circulation that mixes the ecological curiosity of desert literature with the aesthetics of a hugely stylized literature. this primary full-length examine of the Pulitzer prize-winning essayist considers her as desolate tract thinker, spiritual mystic, specialist critic, and arch-romantic.
First released in 2002. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.
The artwork of the textual content contributes to the fast-developing discussion among textual reviews and visible tradition reports. It makes a speciality of the approaches by which writers imagine and readers reply visually and, in essays by means of researchers in literature, monitor and visible stories, the quantity explores the visuality of the literary and non-literary textual content, with a sustained specialize in French fabric of the later 19th and 20th centuries.
- Voices of Negritude in Modernist Print: Aesthetic Subjectivity, Diaspora, and the Lyric Regime (Modernist Latitudes)
- Utopian Geographies and the Early English Novel
- The Night Court, and Other Verse
- The Poetics of Sovereignty in American Literature, 1885-1910 (Cambridge Studies in American Literature and Culture)
- Early and Late Papers : Hitherto Uncollected
- The Cambridge Companion to Wallace Stevens (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
Additional resources for A Companion to Tragedy (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to Tragedy (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by Rebecca Bushnell